Whether you want to find the best portable ice maker exclusively for partying or whether you just want to improve your ability to make ice at home, finding the best option can be difficult. There are so many appliances touting themselves to be the best ice cube maker that there seems to be no easy choice.
In our article, we aim to make the decision easy – find the best portable ice maker for your own goals without having to read through pages of manuals, ice maker reviews, and other material.
- Production capacity: 26 pounds of ice per day (11.7kg).
- Power consumption: 200W
- Dimensions: 15” W x 11” L x 14.5” H (38cm W x 28cm L x 37cm H)
- Weight: 17.86 pounds (8.1kg)
Things to love:
- Clear cubes: Most of the cubes made by small ice machines nowadays are opaque. While they have no impact on the quality of ice, clear cubes always look more professional and are nicer to have.
- Freezes quickly: Freezing a batch of 9 ice cubes takes only up to 6-15 minutes, so it’s perfect for any binges you might be having.
- Easy to clean: Frigidaire Compact Ice Maker comes with a drain plug and a small shovel to make cleaning up easy. Simply open up the drain plug and use the shovel to clean any leftovers and you’re done!
- Quiet: You can easily run this machine even at night without worrying about disturbing someone’s rest. The Frigidaire Compact Ice Maker makes almost no noise even when making ice at full capacity.
- Compact: As it says in its name, this ice maker is quite small, about the size of a toaster, making it easy to carry around and store.
- Can’t be moved frequently: Due to the make of the unit, the refrigerant needs to settle if the ice maker is tilted or moved. About 2 hours need to pass before the unit can be used again.
If you are looking for a solid starter option, the Frigidaire model can definitely rank among the best portable ice makers. This one is built to make ice on-demand, has a lot of quality of life features (such as a “refill needed” light), and is all around sturdy and reliable addition to the kitchen and trips.
- Production capacity: 40 pounds of ice per day (18 kg)
- Dimensions: 14.1” W x 11.00” L x 13.7” H (35.8 cm W x 28 cm L x 34.7 cm H)
- Item weight: 20 pounds (9 kg)
- Material: Stainless steel
Things to love:
- Efficient and quiet cooling: Compressors implemented in any compact ice maker means quick and efficient freezing while making little to no noise.
- Water recycling system: One of the main reasons why Euhomy ranks among the best portable ice makers. No water goes to waste as the machine will reuse any water that appears from melting ice.
- Classic shaped cubes: Diamond ice cubes have been the classic for any drink. Unlike with most other modern machines, you will be able to experience drinks they were meant to be made.
- Works well in heated conditions: The Euhomy compact ice maker will beat through nearly any heatwave, allowing you to enjoy ice cubes when you need them the most.
- Has to remain stationary: Due to the compressor-based cooling system, the coolant must be allowed to settle for 24 hours. Using the ice maker before that might produce low quality ice.
- High maintenance: As the machine works quickly, it fills up to capacity often. Removing ice becomes a necessity, therefore you will need to keep an eye on the ice maker quite often.
A slightly pricier option for those who want a reliable and efficient ice maker. Euhomy ranks highly among the best portable ice maker lists due to its quiet and efficient performance, incredible amount of cubes produced per day, and its water recycling system. A perfect fit for those who want to make the best looking ice cubes for parties!
- Production capacity: 28 pounds of ice per day (12.7 kgs)
- Dimensions: 11.13” W x 14.25” L x 11.81” H (30 cm W x 36 cm L x 30 cm H)
- Weight: 27.6lbs (12.5kg)
Things to love:
- Simple: The Luma Comford ice maker machine is extremely simple in design. Perfect for those looking for something that can be used by anyone anywhere.
- Clear ice: If properly managed, Luma produces crystal clear ice.
- Quick freeze: Making ice cream and gelato takes only about 30 minutes and it can produce 1.5 quarts in total.
- Adjustable ice thickness: Ice cubes can be adjusted to your liking by simply turning off the machine and holding the power button for 10 seconds.
- High maintenance: There are many steps that need to be taken to keep this unit in good shape. First, a slimy substance appears after use, therefore the unit needs heavy-duty cleaning every month. Internal parts (condenser coils, screws, etc) need to be cleaned regularly as well.
- Difficult to clean: Unfortunately, this portable ice maker doesn’t have a lot of removal parts and many important ones are hard to reach. Cleaning it out is going to be a pain.
Luma is a starter portable ice maker. If you are not willing to break the bank for the absolute best portable ice maker, this one is a decent cheaper choice. Take note, that Luma requires care – without proper maintenance, the machine might have troubles working. But if proper care is taken, it will produce massive amounts of beautiful ice cubes at a quick pace!
- Production capacity: 28 pounds per day (12.7 kg)
- Dimensions: 14.50” W x 11.75” L x 15” H (37 cm W x 30 cm L x 38 cm H)
- Weight: 26lbs (11.8kg)
Things to love:
- Fast and efficient: Creating a small batch of ice cubes might take only 6 minutes if the stars align. Perfect for any drink any time.
- Low maintenance: After the initial setup, NewAir’s small ice machine doesn’t require a lot of management. Plug it in, fill with water and run it. NewAir even recycles water by itself!
- Quiet: With the NewAir ice maker you won’t have to worry about bringing down the house. Most of the sound comes from the sweet clink when the ice cubes are made.
- Insulated: While the machine has no inbuilt refrigeration, it does utilize insulation which slightly slows down the melting process. Nothing to write home about but a nice addition.
- Simple controls: NewAir goes for simplicity as every important part of the ice making process can be controlled through a few LED buttons.
- Hollow bullets: NewAir portable ice maker can only produce hollow bullet-shaped ice cubes. These melt a lot quicker than regular cubes.
- On the larger side: When compared to each entry in the best portable ice maker list, NewAir is the largest machine here.
- Can’t be fully disassembled: As NewAir cannot be fully pulled apart easily, cleaning it fully might be a little difficult.
- Takes time to produce high quality ice: NewAir can require a few ice making cycles to be run before it begins producing maximum quality cubes.
NewAir is an easy-to-use and low maintenance machine. While cleaning it might be a little difficult, it’s not very noisy (outside of the sound of falling ice), utilizes simple controls, and can produce a lot of quality ice quickly. Just remember to keep it upright for 24 hours once you receive it and the machine will be a great addition to any camping trip or any kitchen!