Sonic (also called nugget) ice makers are a great choice for those looking for high-quality gourmet ice. Unfortunately, these kitchen appliances can be quite expensive. Finding one that fits the wallet and the kitchen can be quite difficult and no one wants to go through the return process.
In our top 5 sonic ice maker list, we have reviewed the very best products of this category. Make the choice of buying a nugget ice maker easy by simply browsing through our selection!
- Production capacity: 24 pounds of ice per day (10.8kg).
- Voltage: 120V
- Dimensions: 15.25” W x 14.25” L x 17.25” H (38.7cm W x 36cm L x 43.8cm H)
- Weight: 47 pounds (21.3kg)
Things to love:
- Portable design: While a little heavy, the GE Countertop Nugget Ice Maker is not very bulky, making it a great fit for nearly any kitchen.
- Large storage: When the attachable side and regular tank are added can hold plenty of ice and water for production. You won’t have to micromanage your machine every 15 minutes!
- Top-quality ice: If you are looking for the highest quality, chewable, small nuggets of ice, GE Opal Sonic Ice Maker is the choice.
- Easy to use: Nearly every setting can be controlled through a Bluetooth connected phone or through the buttons. Additionally, the machine emits specific lights that display the current status (such as the water tank being empty).
- No connection to a water source required: Some machines need to be hooked up to a water source to work which can be considered a hassle. Opal can be filled with water manually.
- Weekly cleaning: GE Opal quick start guide recommends cleaning the machine at least once a week. While the instructions are quite clear on how to do it properly, frequent cleaning might be seen as a hassle by some.
- Soft water only: This nugget ice maker works best with soft water only. Those who live in cities with hard water will need to install a filter.
- No refrigeration: No refrigeration is installed in the GE Opal pellet ice maker which means the ice can melt quite quickly unless stored in the freezer. Unfortunately, the quality of ice drops if refrozen.
The GE Opal Nugget Ice Maker is the choice for those looking for a mix between price and quality. It remains in the affordable range yet produces top-quality ice frequently and without hassle. It’s simple to use, easy to monitor, and effortless to clean. Simply put, a great addition to any sonic ice lover’s kitchen!
- Production capacity: 315 pounds (142.88 kg) of ice per day or 222 (100.7 kg) at higher temperatures.
- Dimensions: 16.5” W x 24” L x 35” H (42 cm W x 61 cm L x 89 cm H)
Things to love:
- Business use: Manitowoc Nugget Ice Maker is intended for business use and it does it well, producing hundreds of pounds of ice per day!
- Lever activation: Comes with an inbuilt lever-based dispensing system, making it easy to get just the right amount of ice.
- Condenser-based: Condenser chill ice a lot more effectively and generally produce higher quality icec.
- Works well in heated conditions: While the production capacity slightly drops in higher temperatures, it still produces extremely high quality ice in huge amounts.
- Expensive: Unsurprisingly, heavy-duty business-based models will be significantly more expensive than their regular counterparts.
- Requires a drain: An efficient drainage system must be implemented for the nugget ice maker to function properly.
A pricey option for those looking for a nugget ice maker for business use. If you need heavy-duty ice makers, there’s probably no better choice out there. But be prepared to break the bank for the Manitowoc sonic ice maker. However, it’s worth every penny if you can put it to good use.
- Production capacity: 26 pounds of ice per day (11.8 kgs)
- Dimensions: 13.39” W x 10.24” L x 14.57” H (34 cm W x 26 cm L x 37 cm H)
- Weight: 15.65lbs (7kg)
Things to love:
- Small: The Ikich Portable Nugget Ice Maker is the perfect option for those that want to save space in the kitchen. It’s comparatively small and light. Thus, finding a good spot for the ice maker will be much easier.
- Recycles water: You can leave the machine running over night as it has a recycling system. Simply put, as ice melts, the sonic ice maker will turn itself back on to create new nuggets.
- Quick freeze: Going from water to the first batch of nugget ice can take only up to 6 minutes. Perfect for any binges you might have.
- Adjustable ice thickness: Ice cubes can be adjusted by using the S or L buttons on the machine.
- Requires setup: All compressor-based models have an inbuilt requirement of allowing the refrigerant to settle. Giving it at least 2 hours in an upright position is mandatory for good ice.
- Ice pileup can cause inaccurate readings: Sometimes the produced ice will pileup in an uneven manner causing the machine to bug out. To get full baskets again, you will have to manually move some of the ice to the front.
- Small ice basket: While the sonic ice maker can produce large amounts of cubes per day, the basket itself holds only about 2 cups. If you want to run it for a large party, you’ll have to keep removing the ice quite often.
IKICH portable nugget ice maker is one of the best value for money choices out there. It produces large quantities of high-quality ice for a fairly small price. Additionally, it will fit into nearly anyone’s kitchen. Overall, this machine is perfect for those looking to stay on the lower side of the prices.